March 18th, 2020
The emergence of the novel corona virus COVID-19 is going to have an impact on how real estate activities are conducted in the coming months. The Real Estate Institute of Queensland has recommended changes to the way open homes and private inspections are conducted and have advised agents to:
• Ask that buyers attending open homes and inspections avoid touching all fixtures, fittings and furniture
• Provide hand sanitiser and request all clients use it
• Advise that owners use disinfectants at the end of an open-home
• Minimise physical contact with buyers and owners where possible
• Reduce documentation handling where practical or consider using tablets for sign-ins
The advice will no doubt evolve in the days and weeks ahead but please understand the absence of a welcoming hand shake at an open house is just the agent following best practice instructions to avoid spreading the virus.
For more information about public health recommendations related to the coronavirus, please visit Queensland Health Alerts for the latest updated information as well as Queensland Health’s Frequently Asked Questions.